Choosing Between Credit Card Insurance and a Travel Protection Plan
Credit card benefits can vary greatly from card to card; however, when it comes to credit cards with travel insurance benefits, the available coverage can be rather...basic.
If you’re considering relying on the travel insurance from your credit card — or homeowner, auto, or health insurance — instead of purchasing a travel protection plan from a travel insurance provider, it is wise to read the policy wording to understand what you are — and what you aren’t — covered for before departing on your trip.
If you don’t, you may be left without adequate protection should something go awry on your trip.
For example, many credit card companies only cover travel expenses purchased with their card, so if you don’t make all your trip purchases on your credit card, coverage may not apply. The coverage could also be lower than coverage available from a respected travel insurance company.
How to find the best travel insurance protection for your trip
When choosing between credit card insurance and travel protection from a reputable travel insurance company, ask yourself these questions to understand what level of coverage you need:
- What is the maximum trip cost limit? Is it high enough to cover my total trip cost?
- Are emergency medical/dental expenses and emergency evacuation covered with no deductible?
- Is the amount of emergency medical/dental and evacuation coverage enough for my trip?
- Is trip cancellation and interruption included? What are the covered reasons to cancel or interrupt my trip and are they adequate?
- Are traveling companions included in the coverage? For instance, can children be included at no additional cost when traveling with an insured adult?
- If I become injured or ill while traveling, is there someone I can call to help me find the nearest doctor?
- Are pre-existing medical conditions covered?
- If my trip is delayed, can extra expenses like hotel stays, meals, and taxi fares be reimbursed?
- If my luggage is lost or stolen, can I be reimbursed?
- If my luggage doesn't arrive at my destination when I do, can I be reimbursed for essential personal items to help me enjoy my trip?
After answering these questions, you will be better equipped to decide which protection is right for you.
If you’re looking for travel insurance from a travel insurance provider for your next trip, you can get a free Travelex quote or contact our Customer Solutions Center at 1-800-228-9792 if you have any additional questions about our plans and coverage levels.