Coronavirus (COVID-19) Coverage Update
Travelex Insurance and our underwriter Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company (BHSIC) are closely monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak as it continues to evolve and impact travel worldwide.
If an insured or Traveling Companion contracts the coronavirus or is physically quarantined while coverage is in effect, they are eligible for Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption and possibly Trip Delay coverage. An insured may also be eligible for Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption coverage if a non-traveling Family Member is diagnosed with the coronavirus and is considered life-threatening or they require the insured’s immediate care. If an insured’s Business Partner is diagnosed with the coronavirus and the insured must cancel or interrupt the trip to assume daily management of the business. In all scenarios, the sickness must be certified by a physician at the time of cancellation/interruption.
An insured is also eligible for Emergency Medical/Evacuation coverage if the insured contracts the coronavirus while traveling.
It is important to note that fear of travel, travel advisories and destination being inaccessible due to this illness are not covered risks under the Travelex Insurance plans. However, insureds are still eligible for Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage in the event they are prevented from taking their trip due to one of the other reasons listed in their Travelex plan.
While we are no longer offering the Cancel for Any Reason upgrade option, plans where this has been purchased allows the insured to decide for themselves whether to travel or cancel their trip according to the terms of the plan.
Travel advisors and/or travelers should contact the airlines, cruise and tour operators and other suppliers to consider your options to change travel arrangements with the ability to waive or reduce penalties.
The product information provided is only a brief summary. The full coverage terms and details, including limitations and exclusions, are contained in the insurance policy or Description of Coverage. Coverage and rates may vary by states. If there is any conflict between the contents of this website and the Policy or Description of Coverage, the Policy or Description of Coverage will govern in all cases.
Contact Travelex Customer Solutions
- Email the Customer Solutions team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call Customer Solutions team: 800.228.9792
- Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- To make a change to an existing Travelex policy, please use the Request a Plan Change form
Please consider filing your claim via email or through our website.
- Claims forms and questions can be emailed to: email@example.com
- File a claim on our website: https://www.travelexinsurance.com/customer-service/claims
Please allow 4-5 days for a response via email. Thank you, we appreciate your patience.
Please note: Travelex Insurance Services is a subsidiary of Cover-More Holdings USA, Inc. which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Zurich Insurance Group Limited. Travelex Insurance Services separated all business operations from Travelex Holdings, LTD which includes Travelex Worldwide Money and Travelex Currency Services in November 2016.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions
To help you understand eligible coverage with the Travelex plans, please refer to these most Frequently Asked Questions received by our Customer Solutions Center.
1. If I have a Travelex insurance plan, can I cancel my trip due to coronavirus?
Generally speaking, travel insurance does not provide Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage for fear of travel, travel advisories and destination being inaccessible due to an epidemic such as coronavirus.
To be eligible for Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage one of the following must occur while your coverage is in effect:
- you or your Traveling Companion would need to be sick as diagnosed by a physician and unfit for travel (which could include contracting the coronavirus, and as a result being physically quarantined).
- your non-traveling Family Member is diagnosed with the coronavirus and is considered life-threatening or they require your immediate care. This must be certified by a physician.
- your Business Partner is diagnosed with the coronavirus and you must cancel or interrupt your trip to assume daily management of the business. This must be certified by a physician.
2. If I purchase a Travelex plan for an upcoming trip, what coverage do I have in regard to coronavirus?
Coronavirus is being treated the same as any other illness. It is subject to pre-existing medical condition exclusions. An insured is eligible for Trip Interruption, Emergency Medical/Evacuation coverage if they contract the virus while on their trip.
3. Would I have to be quarantined in a hospital to be eligible for coverage?
There can be coverage if the insured is quarantined in either a hospital, hotel or vacation rental (i.e. Airbnb) while on a trip. A doctor would have to order the quarantine and this order would have to be submitted at the time of a claim. In this instance, an insured is eligible for Trip Interruption, or Trip Delay (including if they are quarantined). As described in answer #1 there may be coverage for Trip Cancellation.
4. If I am quarantined on my trip are my additional hotel and meal expenses incurred while I’m quarantined covered?
There can be some coverage under Trip Delay for the additional meals and hotel expenses incurred if you are quarantined while on your trip (as ordered by a physician) if you are delayed for the minimum consecutive hours listed in your policy documents. There is a maximum coverage per day and coverage is only up to the policy limit.
5. Am I covered if I have Cancel for Any Reason coverage (CFAR)?
CFAR must have been purchased at the same time as your original Travelex plan. You may be eligible for a % of the covered trip cost, provided the trip was cancelled no less than 48 hours prior to the departure date and the full prepaid nonrefundable trip arrangements are insured under the policy. Please refer to your policy for all terms and conditions for CFAR. Be aware that the policy must have been purchased within 15-21 days of your initial trip payment (varies by plan).
6. Am I covered for Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption if my travel supplier cancels my trip due to coronavirus?
If your trip or flight to or from your destination is cancelled due to coronavirus there would be no coverage under the Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption terms of your Travelex plan. We encourage you to contact your travel supplier to seek a refund or make alternate arrangements. Travelex may allow the traveler to apply the policy to another trip at a later date. Please refer to question #10 below for information regarding a date transfer. Please contact Travelex Customer Solutions at 800.228.9792 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further details on this option.
7. Am I covered for Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption if the government issues a travel warning or travel restrictions to or from my destination?
If an insured is unable to travel to their destination due to a government travel warning, restriction or ban, they would not be eligible for Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage; however, Travelex may allow the traveler to apply the policy to another trip at a later date. Please refer to question #10 below for information regarding a date transfer. Please contact Travelex Customer Solutions at 800.228.9792 or email@example.com for further details on this option.
8. If my employer enacts a travel restriction, can I cancel under the terms of Cancel for Business Reasons in the policy?
Cancel for Business Reasons can provide coverage if you are required to work during your scheduled trip, if you are involuntarily terminated through no fault of your own, and other reasons.
If a business imposes a restriction of business travel due to the coronavirus, an insured is not eligible for Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage under the terms of the Cancel for Business Reason provision in the policy (see the applicable policy).
Furthermore, if the purpose of the trip is to attend a conference or a work event and that event is cancelled, an insured is not eligible for Trip Cancellation coverage under the terms of the Cancel for Business Reason provision of the policy.
9. If my physician advises me not to travel due to my age or underlying health conditions and there is a high risk of me contracting the coronavirus, am I eligible to cancel/interrupt my trip?
An insured would only be eligible for Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage if they become ill while the policy is in place and the sickness is so disabling as to prevent them from taking or continuing the trip. Fear of contracting the coronavirus even with a certified physician notice, is not an eligible reason under the terms of the Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage.
10. If I reschedule my original trip date for a future date, can I transfer my existing Travelex policy to the new trip dates?
Yes, Travelex is allowing a one-time date transfer if the new trip is within 12 months of the original departure date. If the new trip is more than 12 months from the original departure date, the date transfer may be approved if all of the following guidelines are met:
- Traveler must pay the rates in effect at the time the new trip is booked
- The new trip dates must be APPLIED to the policy within 12 months of the original departure date
- The new trip departure date is no greater than 24 months from when the new travel dates are applied to the policy
Policy Date Transfer Guidelines (new trip date scheduled)
- Notify Travelex of request (email or phone) prior to original departure date
- Trip must be cancelled prior to original departure date
- There cannot be any claims filed against the original policy
- The traveler confirms they are waiving their right to claim against the original insured trip under the policy
- The date the new trip is confirmed with dates becomes the new ‘initial deposit date’ for, pre-existing condition exclusion waiver, financial default eligibility and cancel for business reasons, where applicable
- The policy is effective at 12:01am the day following contacting Travelex with the new trip dates
The coronavirus (COVID-19) situation continues to evolve. These FAQ’s are accurate as of this publication. We will continually monitor this situation and provide you with updates as they become available. Please refer to your appropriate policy document for complete details regarding plan coverage.